Connect with us

General News

Ireland suspends the use of Astrazeneca COVID-19 Vaccine after reported cases of serious blood clotting in some recipients

Published

on

Ireland suspends the use of Astrazeneca COVID-19 Vaccine

Ireland became the latest country to stop using AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine on Sunday, temporarily suspending the shot “out of an abundance of caution” after reports from Norway of serious blood clotting in some recipients there.

Three health workers in Norway who had recently received the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine were being treated in hospital for bleeding, blood clots and a low count of blood platelets, its health authorities said on Saturday.

Ireland’s National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) recommended the temporary deferral pending the receipt of more information from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) in the coming days.

AstraZeneca on Sunday said it had conducted a review covering more than 17 million people vaccinated in the European Union and the UK which had shown no evidence of an increased risk of blood clots.

Denmark, Norway and Iceland have suspended the use of the vaccine over clotting issues, while Thailand became the first country outside of Europe to do so on Friday, delaying its AstraZeneca rollout over the safety concerns in Europe.

Italy’s northern region of Piedmont on Sunday said it would stop using a batch of AstraZeneca vaccines after a teacher died following his vaccination on Saturday. Austria also stopped using a particular batch last week.

The EMA said on Friday that there is no indication that the events were caused by the vaccination, a view that was echoed by the World Health Organisation.

‘WE MAY BE OVERREACTING’

Irish authorities received some reports of clotting similar to those seen in Europe last week but nothing as serious as the cases in Norway, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Ronan Glynn said.

Glynn said the fact that the Norwegian cases related to a cluster of four unusual clotting events involving the brain in 30 to 40 year-olds raised the higher level of concern.

He said that one of the reasons Ireland acted now was that it was due to administer the AstraZeneca vaccine to people of a similar age with serious underlying conditions next week.

“It may be nothing, we may be overreacting and I sincerely hope that in a week’s time that we will have been accused of being overly-cautious,” Glynn told national broadcaster RTE.

“Hopefully we will have data to reassure us in a few short days and we will be back up and running with this.”

AstraZeneca vaccinations make up 20% of the 590,000 shots administered among Ireland’s 4.9 million population, mainly to healthcare workers after its use was not initially recommended for those over 70 and the company supplied far fewer vaccines to the EU than agreed.

There have been 4,534 COVID-19-related deaths in Ireland. The number of cases per 100,000 people in the past 14 days fell to 151 from a high of over 1,500 in January, although officials are concerned over a slight rise in new cases in recent days.

Northern Ireland Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill also raised concerns over the suspension of AstraZeneca elsewhere. In response to Ireland’s decision, the UK’s medicine regulator said that while it was closely reviewing the reports, the available evidence does not suggest the vaccine is the cause of the clots.

Like the rest of the UK, Northern Ireland is much further ahead in its programme and has inoculated more than 40% of the adult population, relying heavily on AstraZeneca’s vaccine.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Guys don’t want to date me because of the Videos I Post On Social Media – Abena Korkor Laments

Published

on

Abena Korkor - No Guy Wants To Date Me Because of The Videos I Post On Social Media

No Guy Wants To Date Me Because of The Videos I Post On Social Media – Abena Korkor Cries Out

No Guy Wants To Date Me: Media personality Abena Korkor has been sighted shedding uncontrollable tears for fear that she might not be able to secure for herself a boyfriend.

The TV show host in a video sighted allayed her fears on why she thinks she might not have her own boyfriend.

According to her, a recent video she shared on social media that got netizens talking may end her up as a spinster forever. She admitted that no guy will be willing to have a girlfriend who shares videos of her semi unclad self.

Crying about her fears she disclosed that management of the TV station where she works has decided to put her show on hold.

She assured her fans on social media that she will bounce back even though she has lost one source of income.

Little about Abena Korkor

Abena Korkor was in the news somewhere in 2018 when she accused some media personalities and politicians for taking advantage of her bipolar disorder and had s3x with her.

I never lied nor apologized, those guys did pay me for sex – Nana Abena Korkor Addo

Nana Abena Korkor Addo, a former student of the University of Cape Coast insists her claims that some renowned journalists and politicians slept with her still stands.

In a post on her instagram page, she denied ever apologizing over the claims stating that she never lied about the persons she named as having laid her expressing shock at media reports on the matter.

“They are not false allegations. I can’t live a lie. I can’t live with that I am sorry. A girl is sexually engaged and she has to apologise but the man who engaged her doesn’t. Maybe there should have been no apologies. I can’t live with that. The next time I say something everyone who think I am just crying wolf. No, I can’t live with that. We are all wrong and we all apologise if need be Why should I apologise for my manic episode. Who apologises for malaria, diabetes or hypertension” she wrote on her Instagram wall.

Abena Korkor known by her peers as “Lincy On Fire”, in February 2015 gained similar media attention after she leaked her own nude images and videos on social media for reasons best known to her.

Subsequently, it was gathered that her action was as a result of a condition which she claimed was not known to her and therefore became an advocate for mental health education.

Nothing was ever heard of her until at the weekend when she in series of facebook posts made shocking revelations including her incarceration in the Metropolitan Detention Center, Brooklyn in the United States for 18 months for drug trafficking in 2010 among other claims she had slept with some persons.

Continue Reading

General News

George Floyd’s Key Witness and longtime friend refuses to testify in Court

Published

on

George Floyds Key Witness and longtime friend refuses to testify in Court

George Floyd’s Key Witness and longtime friend refuses to testify in Court

A key state witness has refused to testify in Derek Chauvin’s murder trial, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Morries Lester Hall, 42, was in the car with George Floyd, 46, on the day of his death.

He has spoken publicly in the months since the incident outside Cup Foods and has consistently claimed that Floyd did not resist arrest and that he himself attempted to diffuse the situation.

But in a surprise move Hall, who is on the State’s witness list, filed a motion with Hennepin County District Court late Wednesday evening in which he gave notice that he would plead the Fifth if called upon to testify by either side.

Hall’s decision came at the end of the third day in Chauvin’s trial, which saw the jurors shown previously-unseen footage of Chauvin with his hands around Floyd’s neck, trying to wrestle him into a patrol car.

The legal document filed by Hennepin County Public Defender and seen by DailyMail.com states: ‘Mr Morries Lester Hall…hereby provides notice to all parties in this matter that if called to testify he will invoke his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.’

Hall, like Floyd, is a Houston native and the two men connected with each other in Minneapolis through a pastor.

According to an interview with The New York Times he and Floyd had been in touch every day since 2016 and he considered the older man a ‘confidant and mentor.’

In that same interview Hall himself boasted: ‘I’m a key witness to the cops murdering George Floyd, and they want to know my side. Whatever I’ve been through, it’s all over with now. It’s not about me.’

Yet despite his claims, Hall was far from co-operative at the outset of the investigation into Floyd’s death.

He had outstanding warrants for his arrest on felony possession of a firearm, felony domestic assault and felony drug possession at the time of Floyd’s death.

He gave a false name at the time, and then left the city two days after Floyd died, and hitch-hiked to Houston, The New York Times reported.

Agents of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension attempted to contact Hall numerous times to no avail.

He was tracked down to Houston and arrested, spending a night in jail following questioning.

Chauvin is standing trial on three counts: second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

If convicted on the most serious count he could face up to 40 years in prison. If convicted on the lesser charge he could be free within as little as five years.

Prosecutors expect to take between two and two and a half weeks to mount their case against him and have so far rattled through numerous, often emotional, witnesses in their bid to see Chauvin convicted.

Continue Reading

General News

NPP should forget 2024 and prepare Bryan Acheampong as Presidential candidate to win 2028 – Nigel Gaisie

Published

on

NPP should forget 2024 and prepare Bryan Acheampong as Presidential candidate to win 2028 - Nigel Gaisie

NPP should forget 2024 and prepare Bryan Acheampong as Presidential candidate to win 2028 – Nigel Gaisie

Prophet Nigel Gaisie has indicated that the Member of Parliament(MP) for the Abetifi constituency and former Minister of State in charge of National Security will one day lead the New Patriotic (NPP) to victory as flagbearer.

According to him, in the spiritual realm, he saw him holding the flag of Ghana signifying that he has the power to lead the country as President.

He indicated that although Bryan Acheampong will not win power in 2024 he should contest the flagbearership position when nominations are opened.

However, in 2028, when he contests for the position, he will win to lead the NPP to victory.

“There is a gentleman I saw and I’ve never met him but if he’s listening or he will listen, he should vie for the Presidency and flagbearership Bryan Acheampong. He won’t get it 2024 but I saw 2028. Yes, I saw it, he should start it in 2024. If they open their flagbearership he should contest, he will lose, he will not get it but 2028 I saw him holding the Ghana flag and he should take care of himself,” he said in an interview with Nana Aba Anamoah.

His revelation comes as a shock to many because Bryan Acheampong has never come up in any form of discussions in the country’s Presidency in the short to medium term and the NPP party.

Well, let’s wait and see what happens with this prophesy.

Continue Reading

Trending