Call for Applications: Ph.D. position in Agribusiness within Climate-resilient Vegetable Farming in Ghana – University of Ghana
Ph.D. position in Agribusiness within Climate-resilient Vegetable Farming in Ghana
The research project “Building vegetable farmers resilience to climate change” is recruiting a talented and highly qualified Ph.D. student in Agribusiness to carry out research on its work package 4 within the topic “Socio-economic assessment and business model development”.
The main objective of the Ph.D. project will be to analyze and develop inclusive sustainable business models that facilitate technological and economic upgrading of vegetable farmers by overcoming their investment constraints, enhancing skill levels, enabling dry-season farming, and engaging other key actors in the vegetable value network.
The key technologies considered in the project will be small-scale irrigation and soil amendments using organic residues. Candidates with knowledge of these technologies in a smallholder setting are encouraged to apply.
Qualification for the Ph.D. position in Agribusiness scholarship:
- The applicant must have applied for admission to the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness through https://admission.ug.edu.gh/
- The applicant must have obtained excellent results in his/her University Master programme;
- The applicant must be strongly motivated to conduct scientific research that has broader societal relevance;
- The applicant needs to be proficient in spoken and written English;
- The applicant must have the ambition to publish in highly ranked international peer-reviewed journals.
- The applicant must be able and willing to make a 3-6 month external research stay in Denmark
The project will cover all expenses related to the Ph.D. project including admission fees, stipend, field research, travel, etc.
The Ph.D. student is expected to carry out a 3-6 month external research stay at DTU during the course of the Ph.D.
This stay will be financed by the project. The project is financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Denmark.
The deadline for applications is May 29, 2020.
Interviews with shortlisted candidates will be carried out online during 9-10 June 2020. The PhD will start in August 2020.
Application letters including curriculum vitae and proof of application to University of Ghana Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness should be submitted to [email protected] and [email protected].